Sunday, September 25, 2011

WIP - Lion Mane Progress

I have started working on the mane. I'm using primarily the flat shader for this step. The right side still needs to be darkened.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

WIP - Lion Face Almost Done

I will be the first to admit I don't like this picture. I think it looks crooked, that the mouth is too big, and a host of other problems. However, this is still in-progress. Now that the face is blocked in, I'm going to go over it and increase the shadows to give it more dimension. Pyrography is fun, but un-erasable. You can make things darker but not lighter, so it's best to err on the light side at first.

I started using the spoon shader to add shadow, but that quickly started looking blotchy. Even though I was using small, circular motions to keep it moving, I still ended up with dark spots. So I switched to the flat shader, which I never really liked, because instead of dark spots I usually get dark lines. But, I'm taking it slowly, trying not to go too dark at once, and building up with layers. And I think it's working.

Monday, September 12, 2011

WIP - Lion Pyrography

I made a bit of progress on the lion. At this point it is pretty much obvious that the scars play a dominant role. So far I have used the spoon shader for the eyes and nose, the extra small round skew for most of the fur, and the writer for the short muzzle fur. To see what these nibs look like, please see my earlier post on pyrography tools.

Friday, September 09, 2011


This pyrographic piece has been sitting in the back of my mind for ages now. I haven't done pyrography in so long I figured it was time! This will be a male lion.

Friday, September 02, 2011