Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Tools of Pyrography

pyrography burnerSince I started posting my pyrography in progress, I wanted to show the tools I use to make these works. First, there is the power unit. I use a Razertip system with a single pen (double pen systems are also available). There is a power switch and a heat setting from 1 (just warm) to 10 (red hot). The pens are plugged in and there is a holder on each side to secure then pen when you are not using it.

pyrography pensThere are many types of pens, but I have these six. The power unit came with the regular skew, which is like a knife. Because it is so large, I don't use it much. I prefer the small round skew which is easier to manipulate and to make curved lines. Skews are sharp and will actually cut into the wood with enough pressure. There are two shaders, flat and spoon shaped. The flat shader is best for getting a nice, even tone in a large area, while the spoon shader works best for smaller areas. The writer is made for just that - writing. It creates a thick but easily maneuverable line. I like the ball pen for detail work and signing my name. It, along with the small round skew, are my two favorite pens.

Learning to do pyrography is like learning any new medium. It takes a lot of experimentation to figure out what works and what doesn't, but once you get the hang of it, the results are rewarding.

I'll be offline all next week, so hopefully I'll be able to post my finished lion pyrography when I return.

No comments: