Friday, June 12, 2009

They Can't All Be Your Best

The definition of "best" implies that there some things that aren't the best. I certainly have my own opinions about which of my drawings I think are my best, and several that I actually despise. It's all part of the learning process, I guess. But there are those times when you think you're in a groove and have a wonderful idea, but the execution just comes out shoddy. Imagine my disappointment when my latest great idea, a baby chimp sitting in the grass (based on some photos I took last year), ended up looking like a children's book illustration (not that children's book illustrations are bad, it's just not what I was going for). This drawing isn't finished (in the full drawing, he's holding a little flower), and I waffle between wanting to see how it ends up and wanting to throw it away. So chances are it'll end up in my storage box unfinished.

What I'd like to share about this piece, though, is that I used my new tinted charcoal pencils. The pink of the skin and the greens of the grass are wonderful colors. I was able to add different shades of regular black charcoal on the pink to get a variation of value. I'm still learning how to blend them to make new colors - it hasn't worked very well so far.

You can't win them all, just take it as a learning experience and move on.

No comments: