Friday, January 27, 2012

New Work in Progress, Not Abandoning the Old

Last post I showed the two new wonderful slabs of wood I am going to be using on my next project. I have almost finished the sanding process (much longer than I thought, but a vital step), and have accumulated all the hardware I need for that "surprise part" I was talking about. The problem is, I need a drill press to finish the job, and was really hoping someone nearby would let me borrow one before I invest a couple hundred for one of my own. And, unfortunately, I need to drill the hole before I can do any burning at all.

While I have been waiting, I have been working on detailed layouts of the two woodburnings. The first one is done, the second nearly so. But even if I do purchase a drill press it will be several days before it arrives, at best. I'm itching to get some work done. What can I do? Both pieces will feature deer, one with white-tail deer and the other with mule deer. I've been sketching and studying their anatomy and everything I can do.

So I have decided that, in the meantime, I will work on another woodburning on the Italian poplar plywood that I used for the giraffe and lion. This time, I will do an 8"x10" of one of the mule deer bucks that routinely pass through my yard (I have hundreds of photos of them), as a formal work but also as a practice for the burl slab.

No comments: