Friday, August 12, 2011

Art Imitates Life


I know the saying is usually the other way around, but in this case it is true. I often get ideas, or inspiration, from things I see. And what could be more inspiring than witnessing Mother Nature in one of her more violent forms? I was recently evacuated from my home due to a wildfire. Even after they let us back, the fire raged for weeks. It is entirely contained now, but I doubt it is extinguished. Anyway, I was able to get a ton of great photos of the smoke, fire, and aftermath, and wanted to capture the experience in a drawing. So here is the beginning. There will, of course, be an animal, but I'm working mostly top-to-bottom on this one. This is probably the first drawing I've done where I have reference photos of the background but not of the animal. Stay posted for more!

No comments: