Monday, July 11, 2011

WIP - Siamangs


I finally started a new drawing this past weekend after returning home from my evacuation. This will be a pair of siamangs in a tree. Siamangs are a type of gibbon, the largest gibbon in fact, and live in pairs mainly in the rainforests of Sumatra and Malaysia. Every mid-morning, they do a series of calls from the treetops to see (or, rather, hear) where other siamangs are and to announce their territory.

In response to many inquiries, I decided to try to make a video of myself drawing. After making this, I know I will make some changes to future videos, namely to add more light and to shoot from the opposite side so my hand doesn't get in the way. I am still trying to figure out how to do a time-lapse video on Linux, so this is just a few minutes of me scribbling away in real-time.



The tools I used in this video are: stick charcoal, 6B charcoal pencil (yes, it squeaks sometimes), blending stump, and an empty mechanical pencil for indentations.

No comments: