Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day 2009

Today is Earth Day, the day where we're all supposed to help clean up the earth. I remember picking up trash in the woods around my house as a kid, and planting a tree every year. As I was thinking about what to write today, I decided that there is one thing I wanted to talk about. With all this talk about renewable energy, finding a solution that will be "clean" and reduce our dependence on foreign oil, there is one source that many people overlook - often intentionally. I don't want to start any debates, but I'm going to put out a plea for everyone to consider nuclear power. It's much safer and cleaner than most people know, and it produces much more power than any wind farm could hope for. The good news is, according to a recent Gallup Poll, more Americans support nuclear power than ever before - 59%. It's one of the best things we can do for our energy situation.

1 comment:

Glendon Mellow said...

It is worth considering. It could certainly help as a bridge between coal, oil and gas as we switch to wind, solar and other renewables.

And quite frankly, there are some regimes out there that would collapse a little more quickly without the oil money pouring in.