Tuesday, June 10, 2008

WIP Reef - Yellow Damselfish

The damselfish is a class of marine fish commonly found in coral reefs. At about 3.5 inches long, they feed primarily on algae and planktonic crustaceans. There are several species and colors, such as cocoa, four-stripe, white spotted, blue, and this yellow. They are popular in tropical aquariums.

These little yellow fish (Pomacentrus moluccensis) are so brightly colored I wanted to put them in a dark area of coral so they stand out (the coral will come in much later). I played around with colors for a while, and eventually came up with the following set. First I added shadow with olive green. Then I went over that and added midtones with yellow ochre. To the midtones I added deco yellow and also used deco yellow for highlights. I blended with the blender and burnished everything with cream. The white underbelly consists of various shades of warm grey and the eye is black. I then added a hint of scales with warm grey 90% all over. All three little guys took me about two hours.

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damselfish

No comments: