Friday, April 04, 2008

Sunbathing

green sea turtle charcoal drawingWell, here he is: my first reptile. I did this entirely with charcoal, and it was surprisingly easy considering I had no idea what I was doing. I'm starting to get a feel for what the different pencils (charcoal and graphite) can do and which to use when. After I finished the turtle, I was afraid to start the background for fear I'd ruin it. For so long I've been drawing animals on a plain white background, I don't know how to draw rocks and trees and sand. But I sat and thought about it and could visualize how to go about it. The charcoal blends easily to give a nice even tone, but also leaves enough flecks to look like grains of sand. It is also easy to knead away areas of reflection in the smooth, wet area.

Prints are ready. The original is 17"x7" and I'd like to get it framed in the near future.

I'd like to thank my sister for giving me the photograph I worked from.

Edit 06-08-08: The original piece will be featured in a gallery during August, 2008.

No comments: